So I promised myself after I took the class at De Montfort that I wouldn’t wait too long to make my own bra. Naturally, I thought “not too long” would be less than a month, but what with getting supplies and some free time, it wasn’t until this weekend that I was able to make up another bra from the pattern I drafted. And here is my first lingerie set that I’ve made entirely on my own!
Overall, I’m pretty happy with it. I managed to remember nearly all the instructions on how to make it (although I did have to unpick a couple of things, naturally). My biggest error was sewing the center piece of the cup in upside down the first time round, but I just made the cup all over when I realized that the cup was not at all cup-shaped!
The panties are made up from the Ohhh Lulu bodysuit pattern and I think the two pieces go very well together. I am still not expert at putting the elastic on properly, but I am improving. I should probably also inform you that I learned how to use a sewing machine for the first time in July, but my comfort level is improving by leaps and bounds.
I’m really quite proud of myself– I know there are plenty of you who whip out bras all the time, but I’m not (yet) one of them. But I’m hoping that I will make plenty more soon! There are a few aspects of the pattern I do want to alter– the wire play is non-existent, for example, for reasons I can’t quite fathom, but I’ll just add some in when I redraft. I also learned a bit about working with this fabric.